Saturday, September 13, 2014

T H I R T E E N | Relationships!

Gosh - I love telling this story!  Every time I think about the way I met A, the situation I was just getting out of, and how amazing things have been in my life since that day, I just smile.  How could I not?!  :)

Let's see... it was September 2012.  Right at two years ago, exactly.  Let me set up the scenario a bit.  I lived in an apartment in Fort Worth.  It was on the second floor, but I had a garage.  A lived above my garage, and I lived above someone else's garage, which means that his patio was essentially over my garage door. 

So, I came home from work, and notice this super hot guy has moved in next door.  I even commented about him to my mom.  I close my garage door & go on about my merry way.  Later that evening, I had a friend coming to visit & check out my new place, and I pass him in the hallway.  A week or so goes by, and I don't seen him again.   

Then towards the end of September, he would randomly come outside while I was walking the dog, check his mail on a Sunday, talk to me from his balcony, etc.  Me being me, and just getting out of a toxic 10 year relationship, I didn't even notice the flirtatious signs.  I'm naive, what can I say?  LOL.  

So on October 9th, 2012, I pull into the driveway from work, and he's outside.  I ran in to grab Chloe, and come back outside.  We stand there chatting for about 30 minutes or so, before I have to leave to go meet my ex-husband to get some of my belongings.  So after I get home, I immediately wash my face, put on my yoga pants, hair up, and settle down on the couch with leftovers.  

I hear a knock on the door.  It's A.  He invites me to go get a milkshake, but of course, I haven't eaten yet.  So I invite him in so I can eat real quick, and then figure we could head out.  Two hours went by so quickly of us chatting it up, before he had to run home to finish up an assignment for school.  

The next night, he comes over and we hang out for a bit.  He asks me if I'd like to go to dinner the next night.  Um, YES!  :-)  So Friday night rolls around, and we head out to a sushi place in Arlington.  Now, granted, this poor guy was put through the ringer in the beginning.  I'm surprised he didn't run for the hills.  I'm pretty sure I would have.  Considering what I had just walked away from, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't make that mistake again.  I asked him point blank on the way to dinner if he wanted kids.  (I have no doubt that I would have asked him to take me home if he had said no).  

From that night until February 1st, 2013, we spent every single evening together. We would sit out on my patio until the wee hours of the morning just chatting. He would always make me hot tea, I'd grab a blanket, and we'd just sit there talking. About the past, the future, our hopes, our dreams, our fears, and everything in between.

On February 1st, 2013, we made it even more official and broke his lease.  And we haven't looked back since.

Now, things haven't always been easy, as I know I'm difficult to deal with when I'm stressed, and I've been stressed to the MAX with work, school, and studying for the CPA exam, but there's no one else in this world I'd rather be with.  He is one of my biggest supports, and he never fails to make me smile.  He is the man who is going to help me achieve my goals & dreams.  I have no doubt that someday soon he'll be my husband, and the father of my kiddos.

Being married before, I can truly say that I had no idea what love truly was before A.  I never loved my ex the way I love A.  I didn't know a love like this was even possible.   Happiness is real.  I've learned to never settle for less than that!


No comments:

Post a Comment