Today’s
Prompt: If you could give one
piece of advice to a large group of people, what would it be?
Done and done. I’ve prayed for this opportunity to give a
large group of people a piece of advice.
The group I would choose is girls from the age of 12 – 25. I won’t say that I’m an expert, but I can
speak from experience because I’ve been there.
Life has changed so much since 2001 when I graduated high school, but
people and society still puts the same pressures on girls now that it did
then.
Have you ever heard the song “Try” by
Colbie Caillet? If not, go listen to it
now! Please. Once you are finished listening to it, come
back and re-read what I have to say.
As women, society tells us to do
whatever {WE} have to do to “snag a
man.” Songs are written by major performers
and labels that discusses how a woman took 45 minutes to get dressed up for her
“man” but they aren’t even going to make it to the club because he doesn’t
respect her enough and he has to have his way with her in the back of a limo. She just wants to be a “girl he likes.” Clothes continue to get smaller, shorter, and
tighter for sake of fashion. Modesty is
a thing of the past.
But… it doesn’t have to be.
Ladies: I beg you.
Learn to love yourself before you expect a man to love you. Learn to support yourself, make decisions on
your own, take care of your car maintenance, fix things around your house,
budget your money. Get an education or a
certificate or something that gives you a way to make a name and a career for
yourself. You don’t want to be his
wife. You want to be YOU first, then
this wife, and their mom. You deserve
it. Learn early that modesty is way
sexier than short shorts and tight dresses.
Demand respect, but give respect as well. Hold your head high and KNOW that you deserve
nothing less than greatness. You do not
have to degrade yourself in the backseat of a limo to make sure that you are
the girl he likes. If he doesn’t like
you for YOU, that’s his
problem. Not yours. There’s something incredibly sexy about a
woman who knows who she is, who has direction and ambition, and who isn’t
afraid to chase her dreams. You don’t
need anyone in this world to do that.
Develop a relationship with God, and use the way that God intended
relationships to be as a beacon to find the man you deserve. Make sure he is strong in his faith, and can
help be the rock in your family.
But most of all – love yourself. Know that you deserve happiness. Don’t settle for the wrong person because you
are watching all of your friends get married.
Take my word for it – it won’t end well.
No comments:
Post a Comment