Day 04 - Your views on religion.
I wish I were more of a church going individual. I admit it, I let life, school, stress, and just the want to sleep in ONE day a week prevent me from going to church. I also don't feel like you have to be sitting in a pew in a church somewhere to be religious. But that's just me.
I was raised in a Baptist church, and I loved it. I was at every Wednesday lesson, Sunday school, and church service that followed. I adored the preacher, Brother Roger Marsh. He actually married my parents (well, my mom and step-dad). And his wife, Marsha. He had an incredible family. A couple years into high school, I tried out for drill team captain. I was a freshman, as were many of the others trying out. (We were a small school, and all the seniors were graduating, there were no juniors.) So I made captain. Awesome, right?! Rumors started flying around town about how my mom was sleeping around, leaving my brother and I to fend for ourselves at home. It was NOT the case. My mom has been nothing but an amazing, supportive, loving parent my entire life. The rumors - started by the mom of one of the other girls... who went to our church.
It's taken me a lot of years to be okay with the back stabbing, gossiping of "church-going" Christians, but I've come to realize that people are still human, and they make mistakes. I would love to find a church near our home, but I haven't made that move yet. I should. I know in my heart that it would make me feel more at peace to hear a message that I so desperately need to hear every week.
But for now, I study on my own at home. And I pray. Constantly. For strength, for wisdom, for courage, for my friends, family, and strangers who are going through tough times. Because I really do believe in the power of our Savior.
No comments:
Post a Comment