Day 1 of the 30 Day Blog Challenge is to write about my current relationship. :o)
When I was about 19, I started talking to this boy on AOL. Well, let me back up even a bit further than that. When I was 19, I was in a group chat room with a bunch of girls, we were all AOL friends, because you know, that was the "cool" thing to do back then. One of the girls proceeded to tell me that a certain boy (who shall not be named) called me a bitch. Um, what?! At 19, I was pretty fearless, and I didn't take too kindly to someone who did not know me calling me a bitch. So I promptly asked for his phone number, and I called to tell him how it was, and how much I did NOT appreciate him calling me names. I think he laughed. I would have too.
Fast forward a couple of months, and this same boy and I start talking on AOL, which lead to a phone call, which lead to a meeting at Discount Tire in Denton. Random - I know, but I had to get news tires, and he picked me up so we could go have lunch at Tia's Tex Mex. (Remember that place?! Man, I loved it!) That night, we went to dinner with his family to celebrate his birthday as well as his brother-in-law's birthday at Johnny Carino's. And yes, you heard that right, first date with his family. LOL. He had just gotten out of the Navy and was living with his mom at the time, so after dinner, we went back to his mom's house, and watched Black Hawk Down. I went to sleep pretty quickly. Whoops. Nothing happened, nothing at all. I slept on top of the covers, still wearing my jeans and belt and all the clothes I came with. But his mom was not happy. I didn't blame her.
The next night - Friday night - we went to TGIFridays to celebrate his actual birthday. I didn't even have to pay because I had just lost my job, and didn't have any money. So he took me out to dinner to celebrate his birthday. From then on - we were pretty inseparable, even moving into our first apartment together some three months later. But it quickly became a DISASTER! We were young. I was 19, he was 24. And we fought ALL THE TIME. We moved in together in February, broke up in March, and lived together essentially as roommates until I moved out in October of 2003.
A rocky relationship ended up back together, and we moved to Albuquerque in May of 2004. We broke up again in August or September. Got back together again by Thanksgiving. Moved back to Dallas, but lived apart in January 2005. He moved in with me in April 2005, we broke up in August or September of 2005, he moved out in February 2006. LOL. See a pattern here?!
After some soul searching on both of our parts, some time apart, some time spent ACTUALLY dating one another, lots of phone conversations, and lots of tears, we finally got back together in July 2006. And we're stronger than ever (except for the stint of drama and frustration that almost led to our divorce in 2009 - stupid Army).
We started a relationship as kids - and we ended up being forced to grow up together. He's my absolute best friend in the world, and one person I know I can always count on! (Luckily - I have a few!) I wouldn't trade the stresses, the arguments, the frustration, and the fights for the world, because I know that it helped me grow up. We will celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary on September 1st, 2011 and our 9th dating anniversary (our first date, that is) on November 21, 2011. It's amazing that we've been together so long and been through so much, and we've still managed to come out on the other side stronger people and a stronger couple.
No comments:
Post a Comment