Friday, June 10, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 3

The topic of today's blog challenge is how I feel personally about drugs and alcohol.  And let me just say that this is a heavy topic for my heart on a Friday.

I'm not even certain where to begin...

Drugs and alcohol are devastating to so many families and relationships.  They can literally destroy relationships, break apart families, tear children from their parents.  When a person literally becomes dependent on this substances to survive, they tend to isolate themselves from the people they love and who love them in return.  Now let me just say this... I have no problem, whatsoever, with the occasional drink with dinner, a beer at a sporting event, or just a beer each night when you get home.  My step-dad drinks one beer every single night.  My husband drinks a beer a week, maybe.

If you have ever been impacted by someone who has a substance abuse (drugs or alcohol) problem, you understand exactly what I'm talking about.  Often times, these individuals will sell precious jewelry, their children's toys, whatever they can to find the funds to buy the "fix" they need.  It's heartbreaking how dependent people can become to their addiction to survive.  I hate it.

In my honest opinion, alcohol and drugs become such an addiction and they should be treated as such.  Most people do not have the will-power to willing put them down and walk away.  They need help.  Whether it's in-patient treatment, weekly group meetings, the support (to an extent) of family and friends to break the cycle. Parents need to realize that no matter how big your home is, no matter how fancy of a car you buy your child, they are not immune to the peer-pressure of drugs and alcohol.  Having an open line of communication will tell you more than anything.  Be parents.  Say no to your children.  It's really okay and they are going to turn out okay, but that doesn't mean that they won't ever use drugs and drink alcohol.

It's a debilitating addiction.  And I hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment