Let me just give this as a disclaimer though. The details (while I'll leave them to a minimum) are kind of graphic in parts, so if you don't care to know about the inner workings of the female body, you might skip this post. Don't say you haven't been warned. Hah.
In June 2009, I was having some cycle issues. I would skip a cycle, or two, and then when it did finally come, it was incredibly heavy. I ended up making an appointment with my OB/GYN to discuss what my options were to regulate things, and I went in expecting that it was all stress related. What I found out at my appointment was NOT stress at all, although I can't say for sure that the stress didn't make things worse.
PCOS. PCOS is short for polycystic ovarian syndrome. I didn't know much, or anything, about PCOS before this diagnosis, and I'm still learning some 5 years later. But PCOS is no joke. The side effects and symptoms of PCOS are depressing in itself, but they are manageable.
Some of the side effects include:
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Weight gain
- Difficulty losing weight
- Excess hair growth on face & body
- Darkened patches of skin
- Skin tags
- Infertility
- Thinning hair
- Insulin resistance
- Type 2 diabetes
- High cholesterol and high triglycerides
- High blood pressure
- Cysts on the ovaries
- Pelvic pain
- Depression
- Anxiety
- Sleep apnea
- Decreased sex drive
- Increase in stress levels
Luckily, I'm not impacted by ALL of these symptoms, but I have bolded the ones that really have affected me, personally.
I think the one that has had the biggest effect on me is the increased levels of stress & anxiety. Things bother me that shouldn't, and I literally feel myself shutting down when things don't always go the way I plan. I've had a physical therapist tell me to invest in a mental therapist to help overcome the anxiety and stress levels that she can see in my body.
I personally have an incredibly HARD time losing weight. I don't eat large portions, and I don't necessarily eat a lot, but the weight keeps coming. For the rest of my life, I'm going to have to be on a low carb, high protein "diet" although it's going to be my life style. It's the only thing I can do. Doctors & nutritionists that specialize in PCOS recommend a paleo lifestyle to help combat some of the effects of PCOS.
And the HARDEST part of all is the infertility.
I'm still learning. In fact, I learn something new every day. I'm still combating this disorder, and I will until the day I die. But I'm bigger than this, I'm bigger than a label.
You are SO much bigger than a label, and you do NOT let this disease define you. I'm proud of you. I read the information you send me on your doctor and I think that will get you off to a great start. It's hard when you realize something is with you forever, but I do believe you are in a DOWN in life. Once you figure out the fertility, and can get the stress and anxiety under control, I think you will be able to feel some peace. Oh and DON'T TAKE ON SO MUCH!!! WOMAN, I'm surprised you haven't had a breakdown yet!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I love you and am here for you and I KNOW you will show PCOS who's boss!!!!! *hugs*
I hate that you suffer from this disease! I have several very close friends who also suffer from it and I see how heartbreaking it is! You are bigger than the label of PCOS and with the grace of God, you can take it on.
ReplyDelete