Friday, March 21, 2014

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind

I stumbled upon a blog one day, with the 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind.  It is an interesting concept, to me.  So I decided to add answering the 50 questions to one of my 101 things to do in 1001 days list.  

Without further ado, here are the questions...  check back often, as I attempt to tackle these questions.

How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
This one is tough for me.  I think the most incredible age for me thus far was 29.  It's the age that I learned the most about myself, my strength (and weaknesses), and the age that I really felt like I came into my own.  However, it was a struggle too.  


Which is worse, failing or never trying?
In my humble opinion, never trying.  For me - you don't know if you'll fail or succeed, if you don't give it your all, and try.  I'd rather not live life wondering "what if..." 

If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
I think in some way we feel obligated to our family and friends.  We work because we want to have the material things in life, like a roof over our heads, food on the table, etc.  We don't always work a job or in a career field that we love, simply because they don't always pay enough to survive.


When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
I certainly hope not.  I really try to be true to my word, and not talk about things if I can't come through.  That's not to say that sometimes things happen, but in the end, I want to be remembered as a person who kept my word.

What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
Probably the people.  As crazy as that sounds, if the people were different, the world would be different.  I wish people actually CARED about each other more, and spent less time trying to compete with one another.  I wish people made life long friendships that they didn't throw away when the next "best" thing came into their lives.  I wish people were genuine, caring, loving, and put the way other's feel in the fore front of their minds.  

If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
I say that I know the answer to this question.  I'd teach.  Hands down.  I've always wanted to do something that might make a difference in the life of a child.  It's also why I've contemplated getting a Master's in Biblical Studies so that I can teach children in a biblical setting, or even travel and do mission work, and teach.  


Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
I'm for certain settling.  This isn't what I saw myself doing.  But, I made a decision some years ago, went to school for a really long time, and this is what I'm left with.  I'm making the best of it.  :-)


If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
I wouldn't have spent as much time focusing on my education/career.  I would have found a job that would afford me a lifestyle that was comfortable, but ultimately, I would have wanted to travel more.  I probably wouldn't have worried about getting married/having kids/etc. but would have focused on trying to leave my mark behind.

To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?

Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?

You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire.  They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend.  The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.  What do you do?
I stand up for her.  Period.  No one deserves to be unjustly criticized.  And I don't back down from confrontation.  However, I would definitely lose respect and admiration for these people.
  

If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?
Enjoy being a child.  Enjoy the innocence.  Try not to grow up too fast.  Focus more on your grades, and less on finding a boyfriend/girlfriend.  Get a scholarship to college, and try to experience college the way it's supposed to be experienced.  
(My mom told me this growing up, and I never believed her.  I wish I had.)

Would you break the law to save a loved one?
Heck yes!  No questions asked.

Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?

What’s something you know you do differently than most people?

How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?

What one thing have you not done that you really want to do?  What’s holding you back?

Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?

If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?

Do you push the elevator button more than once?  Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?

Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?

Why are you, you?

Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?

Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?

What are you most grateful for?

Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?

Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

Has your greatest fear ever come true?

Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset?  Does it really matter now?

What is your happiest childhood memory?  What makes it so special?

At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?

If not now, then when?

If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?

Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?

Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?

Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?

If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?

Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?

Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?

When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?

If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?

Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?

What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?

If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?

When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?

What do you love?  Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?

In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday?  What about the day before that?  Or the day before that?

Decisions are being made right now.  The question is:  Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?

1 comment: