Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Plus Size

I rarely blog on things that are mainstream media, because I don't like to get into it, but I just felt called to discuss this, somehow.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook today about how Plus-Size Models recreate the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue cover.  You can see the link here.

However, the response from a particular individual on her Facebook has me a bit offended, incredible appalled, and well, disgusted overall.  

This individual says that this "country is going to shit because of our views on obesity and weight. And the taxpayers are paying for it."  He also goes on to talk about his girlfriend who is "105 lbs and gets insulted by heffers (his spelling) in her family, call her too skinny, real women have curves, etc."  

Several times he calls "plus sized" women heifers.  We won't even begin to discuss his poor grammar & spelling, because that's not really the point of this post.  And yes, maybe I'm being a bit sensitive.  But when the hell did a size 12 become plus sized?  I just recently read a cosmopolitan post that says plus sized models start at a size 8.  See article here.  Are you serious!?  


I've never considered myself plus size.  I shop in the same stores as the girl who wears a size 2.  Yes, I have curves.  Yes, my boyfriend likes those curves.  I'm comfortable in my skin.  I'm healthy.  I eat right.  My cholesterol levels are perfect. My heart rate is on point.  My blood pressure is perfect.  I wear a size 12.  

What pisses me off more than anything is that this jerk can "fat shame" but how dare ANYONE "skinny shame" his girlfriend.  In the end, what's the difference?   

No comments:

Post a Comment