Monday, April 4, 2011

Cake Decorating - Week 1

Tonight was my first cake decorating class at Michael's. Lindsey and I loaded up in the car, with all our "tools" and our cookies to decorate, and headed to class. :o) I was kind of surprised at the number of ladies in our class. We started this course with 7.

What we learned...

- How to bake the perfect cake
- How to make the classic buttercream icing
- How to check for the proper consistency of our buttercream icing
- Preparing decorating bags with couplers, tips, and filling the bag with icing
- How to make a star using the star tip
- How to make a curving line and a tight zigzag
- How to make shells
- How to make a dot, elongated shape, and heart

Overall, I felt pretty good with my decorated cookies but I really could use additional practice. We definitely learned a lot for our first class, and we skipped around in our "book" a bit - but I'm pretty confident in my future abilities and what we've learned so far...

Now on to the pictures.

The first cookie was supposed to be a flower... um, yeah, with 5 petals. Looks more like an octopus to me. :o) Using tip #12.


This is a heart, using tip #12. With dots around the edges.


This is a spiral design using a star tip. I think it was #21.



I pulled this one out of a design in our book. Using a round tip #12. If it had been finished, the icing would have been another color, and the "biggest" dot would have eyes, a nose, and a mouth to resemble a caterpillar.


Another cookie design (a star) using a star tip.




1 comment:

  1. Love!!! I am so excited you ladies are doing this and for all of us to take thr next 2 classes together.

    Your cookies look great Friend!

    ReplyDelete