Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend Recap

I always feel such a sense of peace after a relaxing weekend, and this one was just what the doctor (had I seen one) ordered.  Every single weekend so far in May has been jammed packed full of activities, and we were always GO, GO, GO!  So with Memorial Day and a three day weekend on the horizon, I vowed to make no plans.  And it was glorious.

Friday morning started out with news that my dear cousin Jessica and her husband Daniel welcomed their 2nd son, Jonah Grey, into the world.

Friday night - Alex and I wanted to go to Grapevine and watch their Friday night fireworks.  We're on a mission to do more "cheap" and "free" activities around the metroplex and save our pennies for a major cross country move in the next two years.  We ventured towards Grapevine to have dinner before the show.  God had other plans, and decided that rain was more urgent, so the fireworks show was rained out.  We ended up grabbing a bite to eat at Anamia's in Southlake, and headed home to enjoy the rain.  

Saturday - I actually got to sleep in!  Happy day!  :o)  Saturday was spent cleaning and straightening up the apartment.  We did make a quick run to Urban Acres to pick up some fresh organic produce, some homemade bread, and some ice cream.  

Sunday - church.  Can I just say how much I looooooooooooove our church?  I'm so happy and thankful that I finally found a church home.  It's just incredible.  After church, we went home, changed clothes, I ran out to get a few groceries, then Alex & I went to the Army Navy Store and to get a sno cone!  That man sure knows the way to my heart on a hot day.

Monday - where do I begin?!  I'm embarrassed to tell this part of the story, but it's one that needs to be told.      I had never in 30 years been to a Memorial Day ceremony at the DFW National Cemetery.  I was able to change that yesterday.  I vow to make it an annual tradition to start Memorial Day by remembering the reason we have the day off work.  I've always said a prayer for the fallen heroes and try to remember them every day, but the opportunity to hear a 21 cannon salute and to hear the trumpets play taps was just incredible.  I'm thankful that Alex is one of those people who holds his fallen brothers and sisters dear to his heart.  It's just the kind of person he is.  And more than that - I'm thankful that he chooses on a daily basis to share this part of his life with me.  I'm forever in awe and inspired by his heart.  




After the ceremony, we came home, and took a short nap.  When we woke up, we packed up the dog and headed to Rockledge Park on Lake Grapevine for a quick hike.  That's another post for another day, because it's a rant.

Needless to say - the weekend was a great one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment