Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Cha, cha, cha, changes.

So I'm pretty sure it's been no secret that 2014 has sucked.  Majorly.  It's been a series of ups and downs, but it has felt like mostly downs.  I've been incredibly unhappy at work, I feel like I've been inundated with all the various baby annoucements/births, and things have been rocky a bit financially.  Quite frankly, it's been a shitty year, and I'm so darn happy to be saying GOODBYE to 2014!

Several months ago, I started the conversation with work about a raise.  I was paid significally under the market value for my position, and I wanted them to do something about it.  I didn't figure they would, but I wanted to give them the chance to do so.  I also began the conversation of looking for a new position with a recruiter friend that I met last year. 

Since Alex & I met, we've shared dreams of living somewhere other than Texas.  I've been here for the majority of my life, and definitely all of my adult life with the exception of a few months where I lived in Albuquerque, NM. 

In October, fed up from work, and looking for a change, I pulled up jobs in North Carolina.  Not expecting even a call back, I applied for jobs that were (in my mind) a little more advanced that what I thought I could handle.  Imagine my surprise when I received a call back.


I went through two phone interviews, and then the company flew me to their NC facility to go through another 3.5 hours of questioning.  That was two weeks ago.  A week ago, I accepted their offer to become the new Corporate Accounting Manager.  Yesterday, I turned in my notice at my current job. 



North Carolina is absolutely beautiful, and I'm so beyond thrilled to have the ability to venture out & explore.  I can't wait to hike in the mountains, hang out by the ocean.  Greensboro is literally almost right in the middle of the state, towards the north, and we're approximately 2.5 hours from the mountains and from the ocean. 

I'll be living relatively close to my Grandma Taylor, my Dad, my Aunts & Uncles, and cousins. 

But, leaving doesn't come without great sacrifices.  I go between bawling my eyes out at the thought of leaving my Mom and my bestie, Lindsey & her boy, Adam, to being elated and excited about the next chapter in my life.  I'm beyond grateful for the technology that will allow me to still see their smiling faces on Skype and talk on the phone without paying the long distance price.

And more than that - I'm so appreciative of all the well wishes, congrats, and the people who have truly shown me what having real friends & family feels like.  I know it's not easy for anyone to go through the experience of someone they love moving away. 

It's not easy for me either. 

The journey will be worth it though.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment