Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dear Abby

I'm pretty sure that most of you are familiar with Dear Abby.  If not, Dear Abby is an advice column that has been around since 1956.  The original writer was a woman by the name of Pauline Phillips, but the column is now written by her daughter, Jeanne Phillips.  

Now that we've gotten through that short history lesson... I have some serious beef with Dear Abby.

On August 10th, Dear Abby published a response to OFFENDED DAUGHTER. Basically, OFFENDED DAUGHTER had written in that she was 60 - 70 lbs overweight.  She wears a one-piece bathing suit to public pools, but when at home (and at her mother's home) she wanted to wear a bikini top and shorts.  Her mother was offended and stated that she couldn't wear the bikini top at her home, because it "makes people uncomfortable."  

Abby's initial response was okay, but the "follow up" response was out of line.  

Here's the actual link to the article... 

Dear Abby

And here's the part where I'm appalled that Abby would respond in this manner:

"While you say you are comfortable in your own skin, it would be interesting to know what your physician thinks about your obesity. I suspect that your mother would be prouder of you if you were less complacent and more willing to do something about your weight problem."

Unless, I'm completely missing something (or refusing to read between the lines), I don't see where OFFENDED DAUGHTER said she was complacent and not doing anything to combat her weight issues.  Maybe she is.  Maybe she's working with her physician.  Maybe she's eating a well balanced nutritious diet, visiting the gym, and doing everything she can to work on her weight problem.  Maybe she is willing. Maybe she started her weight loss journey with 150 lbs to lose, and now she only has 60 - 70 lbs to lose.  
  
But does that mean that we are to hate our bodies while they are in transition?What about the woman who has health issues that prevent her from being a predetermined weight?  What about the woman who just gave birth to a beautiful baby but isn't a size 2 upon leaving the hospital?  Should she wear something that covers her body until she's back in 100% shape as to not "offend" someone.  If that's the case, I absolutely HATE my body.  

And furthermore, I'd much rather a woman have a healthy relationship with her weight and her body and with food, than an unhealthy one where she's starving herself, battling depression issues due to her low self-esteem, and possibly facing anorexia or bulimia.

I think as a society, we're way too damn quick to judge that an overweight man or woman is automatically lazy and worthless.  And quite frankly, I think that makes the world a bunch of assholes.


  

1 comment:

  1. YES, total assholes! I think we are critical enough of ourselves to not have everyone else's judgement present.

    ReplyDelete