Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Forgiveness

Forgiveness is such a hard thing to tackle, at least for me.  I won't say that I'm the girl that holds grudges, because I normally do not, but when someone or a couple of someones make decisions that completely derail your life, it's hard not to have a bit of anger towards them.

On Sunday, at church, Pastor Morris preached about emotional healing.  What a powerful message.  If you are interested in listening to it, here's the link:  Wounded Warriors.

Most days I'm okay.  I'm not mad, I'm not sad, I'm not angry, I'm great in fact.  M and I had the world's most hurtful, toxic relationship.  It was bad.  But I'm angry that for 10 years he did nothing but lie to me about various things, including his relationship with another woman while still married to me. I'm angry that it took me 10 years, walking away from the situation to realize just how toxic it was. I'm angry that on NYE he's asking me out on a date, all while planning a wedding with his new wife.  I'm angry that God gave them a child, when he didn't even want one. And even mentioned to me in text halfway through her pregnancy that he wasn't sure how he felt about it. I'm angry that A and I are likely going to struggle with infertility and PCOS.  It sucks.

However, I have the most AMAZING relationship that shows me on a daily basis what relationships are supposed to be like.  Before A, I never knew what it was like to hear "I love you" daily.  I never knew what it was like for someone to genuinely say "You're Beautiful!"  And when I respond with "thank you," he says "no, thank you."  I never knew what honest support was like.  For someone to be my biggest cheerleader (behind my Mom, of course).  I have someone who actually listens when I speak, and who goes out of their way to express how he feels.  It's incredible.  I'm not sure I would know and appreciate a love this great without the failures of my past relationship.

This has been a struggle.  I won't say it's over.  I'm still angry.  My blood still boils anytime I have to see his name in my e-mail, receive a text or a phone call.  (This is why I love iOS 7's new operating system... the "block" feature is AMAZING!)  I'm working on it.  I spend time in prayer asking for God to take the anger away, and to allow me to forgive him.

If God can forgive me of my trespasses, and M for his as well, then surely I can attempt to do the same.  I hope and pray that he seeks a relationship with the Lord.  I hope he raises his daughter to be a good person, to focus on family, to seek a relationship with God.  I hope he treats this marriage as more than a game.  I hope he keeps his eyes with in the confines of his marriage, and doesn't look elsewhere like he did with me.

"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."  Matthew 6:14

This is what I'm focusing on.

1 comment:

  1. Oh friend, this post made me cry. First of all, I'm sorry you had to go through hurt to realize that he sucks. BUT, I'm SOOOOO glad you hear "I love you" every day and that "you're beautiful" because C, you are. You REALLY are. I will never understand why he did that to you and why he chose to trap you for 10 years but I will say that in a way I'm glad it happened because it brought you to Alex. It sounds like he is perfect for you and I'm so glad he makes you so happy. I think the anger will just take time. I remember with my devastation with my ex it took a really long time, really really long time but I eventually healed. And now I could care less. But I understand that yours was more serious because y'all were married and he betrayed you.

    I will say this....I'm VERY proud of you for continuing to open your heart after what he did. I admire that so much because that's what I struggle with the most in my life and it's why I've been alone for 13 years. I love that about you, keep doing it. It has allowed a beautiful love to blossom and it will last forever. I'm SO proud of you, and don't hate yourself for being angry with the past. It was a serious betrayal and it's going to take time.

    Let me know if you ever need to talk and PLEASE open up when you feel this way. I will be here for you ALWAYS!!!!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete